Cancer and Exercise Study
The Cancer and Exercise Study received a Colorado Cancer Fund grant to recruit 40 adult cancer survivors (per semester) in the San Luis Valley to participate in a 10-week, supervised, individualized and progressive group physical activity intervention aimed at improving their physical, mental and social health.
Brought to the San Luis Valley by Adams State University, SLV Health, and the Colorado Cancer Coalition.
- Adams State University with support and funding from SLV Health and the Colorado Cancer Coalition
- A fully funded 12-week exercise program offered to all cancer survivors at any stage of treatment or remission
- We start new sessions 2x a year coinciding with Adams State Fall and Spring Semesters
- We offer morning and afternoon sessions three times a week to accommodate as many participants as possible
- All exercise sessions will be held at the Alamosa Family Recreation Center
- Fitness testing will take place at Adams State’s East Campus Human Performance Lab & Indoor Track (the Bubble)
- Exercise has been shown to improve health outcomes in many cancer survivors with different types of cancer
- Working with a group who have similar experiences can aid in support and improve overall quality of life
- Pre- and post-testing of fitness to see progress throughout
- 10 weeks of supervised exercise including aerobic, resistance training, group sport, and balance activities
- Educational sessions to provide health-related information to all participants
- We will work with each individual to reach personal goals based on current health & fitness; there is lots of one-on-one personal training to match each individual’s ability
- Participants are encouraged to continue with the on-going study as a part of our growing Maintenance group
“My knees have become stronger, balance has improved, and overall stamina and muscle tone have increased!”
“I am a healthier individual from my participation in the Cancer and Exercise program”
“This program was a real gift to me. I feel better about myself and the people contribute to the enjoyment of the group!” – Participant since Spring 2018
Contact the Study Coordinators
Study Informational Meetings
Choose either Aug 14 @ 11:00 AM at the SLV Health Education & Conference Center (1921 Main Street Alamosa, CO 81101) or August 15th @ 5:30 PM at the same location.
THE STUDY BEGINS AUGUST 26, 2019!